Thursday 28 July 2011

CLL - CONTINUING THE ROLLERCOASTER RIDE (2)

By the end of May I was hospitalised with cardiac problems. My heart was booming and seemed to me to be so slow. Everything was an effort. I was admitted to AAU. My stay there was not good. The SHO kept telling me there was nothing wrong. Note to all patients here...be sure to fight your corner. I fought mine and refused to go home. A senior doctor appeared and I was put on a heart monitor. He diagnosed Fast Atrial Fibrulation (going at the rate of a marathon) and Flutter and prescribed betablockers. The following day 2 more junior doctors appeared and suggested that blood was pooling in my heart chamber, it wasn't emptying properly. I was more at risk of stroke and Warfarin was recommended. Given my CLL prognosis and risk of hemorrhage I took the decision to refuse Warfarin but said I would start on Asprin instead. There was no followup in outpatients by the cardiac department. I believe that as I am reaching the end of my CLL journey, it was felt I wasn't worth following up. It was a very low point for me. However, the betablocker had stopped the booming in my chest.

There was a little response to the Chlorambucil and so a second round was started in June. My doc suggested I didn't expect anything from the treatment, then I wouldn't be disappointed. I was to slow right down.

July found me having a lot of angina attacks at rest. This is angina while trying to make a cup of tea or cleaning my teeth and even waking me up a night. My GP sent me to the rapid access chest pain clinic at my local hospital and I was admitted to the Cardiac Ward. Diagnosis? Left Ventricular Hypertrophy and Atrial Fibrillation, happily with no sign of heart failure. After another overnight stay I left with more heart pills and an appointment for a stress echocardiogram in August. The pills are working well and no more angina at the moment. However, I have to stop these pills 3 days before the echo and I admit that this frightens me.

No comments: