Thursday 28 July 2011

CLL - CONTINUING THE ROLLER COASTER RIDE

At the beginning of March it seemed like I was heading for a remission. My counts were looking reasonable and my doctor suggested that 2011 might be a good year (the last 2 years being so hard). But by the middle of April the white cell count was well on the way up again (40,800). By May it had risen to 71,000 and I was starting to hemolyse again. I was told I am refractory to previous treatments and it was time to think about my future. We discussed hospice and end of life issues. I asked for and received a DNAR form (Do Not Attempt Rescusitation). It was decided that I would start a course of Chlorambucil + Prednisolone as a palliative measure. My doc suggested it was time to speak to my family about my poor prognosis. If there was no response to Chlorambucil then we would discontinue treatment.

No comments: